Fort Worth Arlington Heights overcame an early two-touchdown deficit and defeated Weatherford 31-27 on Friday behind Adrian Robinson four touchdowns. Johntae Jackson sealed the win for Heights with his interception with 1:49 remaining.
▪ Key players: Robinson rushed for 113 yards and touchdowns of 38 and 61 yards on six carries, along with catching five passes for 122 yards and touchdowns of 35 and 23 yards. Weatherford’s Matthew Gray rushed for 166 yards and a 1-yard touchdown on 20 carries.
▪ Key stat: Robinson scored what proved to be the game-winning TD on a 23-yard pass from Deontre Jones with 48 seconds left in the third quarter.
Brewer Bears (0-1) at Weatherford Kangaroos (0-1)
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Brewer 4-7, Class 5A Division I bidistrict. Weatherford 2-8. Brewer won 28-14 in Fort Worth.
▪ Series history: Weatherford leads 12-5.
▪ Returning starters: Brewer 6 offensive/8 defensive. Weatherford 4 offense/8 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Brewer junior QB Carson Ingram (855 yards, 9 TD passing in final three games of 2016), Weatherford senior RB Matthew Gray (166 yards rushing and TD on 20 carries in first game since transferring from Brock), senior QB Corban Campbell (108 yards rushing, 2 TD on 16 carries in season opener).
▪ Notable: While these teams have a history, it has been spread out over the years. Last season was the first meeting in 11 years. Prior to 2005 they met in 1998-99, 1984-85, 1976-81, 1964-67, and 1953.
Mexico City Aguilas Blancas Eagles (0-0) at Aledo Bearcats (1-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Aguilas Blancas NA. Aledo 16-0, Class 5A Division II state champions. Teams did not play.
▪ Series history: First meeting.
▪ Last week: Aguilas Blancas did not play. Aledo defeated Colleyville Heritage 38-21.
▪ Returning starters: Aguilas Blancas NA. Aledo 3 offensive/5 defensive.
▪ Eagles to watch: NA.
▪ Players to watch: Aledo sophomore QB Jake Bishop (9-for-13, 113 yards passing in varsity debut) and senior LB Aaron Hale (116 tackles last season).
▪ Notable: The Bearcats' recent tradition of playing challenging opponents from outside the state - and in some cases outside the nation - continues this season. Since 2012 Aledo is 6-1 in these games. Aguilas Blancas is a Mexican college football team representing the National Polytechnic Institute. They compete in the Green Conference as part of the National Student Organization of American Football (ONEFA) and have won five national championships in their history, though the last one was in 1992. Aledo has six state championships in the past eight years.
Hamilton Bulldogs (0-0) at Millsap Bulldogs (1-0)
7 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Hamilton 5-5, Millsap 3-7. Hamilton won 15-0 at home.
▪ Series history: Hamilton leads 6-1.
▪ Last week: Hamilton NA. Millsap defeated Archer City 51-8
▪ Returning starters: Hamilton NA. Millsap 9 offense/8 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Hamilton senior RB/LB Martin Najera Ramirez (705 rushing yards, 77 tackles last season), Millsap senior DB/QB/WR Lane Rich (2 interceptions on defense, TD pass, 2 catches for 25 yards in season opener), junior RB Franklin Lopez (118 yards rushing, TD on 17 carries in opener), sophomore RB Jace Davis (119 yards rushing, TD on 12 carries in opener).
▪ Notable: Millsap won the first meeting between the two 6-0 in 1982. Since then Hamilton has outscored the Bulldogs 201-33 in six wins.
Midland Christian Mustangs (1-0) at Brock Eagles (1-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Midland Christian 8-5, Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools Division II state semifinals. Brock 13-1, Class 3A Division I Region I final. Brock won 57-41 in Midland.
▪ Series history: Brock leads 1-0.
▪ Last week: Midland Christian defeated El Paso Eastwood 41-31. Brock defeated Stamford 55-7.
▪ Returning starters: Midland Christian 6 offense/4 defense. Brock 3 offense/5 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Midland Christian junior QB Peyton Powell (1,594 rushing yards, 41 TD last season), senior LB David Threadgill (103 tackles last season), Brock senior RB Dawson Littlepage (118 yards rushing, 3 TD on seven carries in season opener), senior RB Tanner Patino (74 yards, 2 TD on six carries in opener).
▪ Notable: The Mustangs have 10 state championships since 1991, the last being in 2011. Last season they had the Eagles on the ropes before Brock pulled away in a shootout. Brock has won 30 consecutive regular-season games since losing the first time it played one (26-21 to Brady in Abilene) after becoming eligible for University Interscholastic League play in 2014. The Eagles are also 15-0 at home in that span.