For a second straight week, the Weatherford Kangaroos dropped a heartbreaking contest, falling 21-15 at home to Fort Worth Brewer after leading late in the game. The previous week they fell 31-27 to Arlington Heights in Fort Worth, letting a two-touchdown lead slip away.
Now, they hit the road again to take on one of the most powerful offenses and stingiest defenses in the area, the Burleson Elks.
In all, it was a rough Friday night for area teams as Brock fell to Midland Christian 26-9 and Millsap lost 14-7 to Hamilton. Aledo, however, had no trouble with Aguilas Blancas of Mexico City, winning 50-8.
Weatherford Kangaroos (0-2) at Burleson Elks (2-0)
Never miss a local story.
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Burleson 3-7 in Class 5A. Weatherford 2-8 in Class 6A. Kangaroos won 34-31 at home.
▪ Series history: Weatherford leads 20-15.
▪ Last week: Brewer 21, Weatherford 15. Burleson 45, Fort Worth Paschal 0.
▪ Returning starters: Burleson 7 offense/6 defense. Weatherford 4 offense/8 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Weatherford - QB Corban Campbell (160 yards, 1 TD, 3 int. passing; 30 carries, 183 yards, 3 TD rushing), RB William Gonzales (19 carries, 100 yards). Burleson - WR Jaylen Johnson (9 catches, 155 yards, 3 TD), WR Aden Anderson (8 catches, 176 yards, 2 TD).
▪ Notable: The Kangaroos have two tough losses by a total of 10 points to open the season and six turnovers opposite one takeaway has been a big factor...The Elks are not only explosive on offense, but stout on defense, having outscored their two opponents 101-7. They held Paschal to 32 total yards and a single first down...The Kangaroos have won two of the past three meetings in this series that dates back to 1968.
Mansfield Legacy Broncos (2-0) at Aledo Bearcats (2-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Legacy 11-3, Class 5A Division I Region I finals. Aledo 16-0, Class 5A Division II state champions. Aledo won 59-41 in Mansfield.
▪ Series history: Aledo leads 1-0.
▪ Last week: Legacy 10, Crowley 7. Aledo 50, Aguilas Blancas, Mexico 8.
▪ Returning starters: Legacy 5 offense/5 defense. Aledo 3 offense/5 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Legacy - RB Grant Johnson (45 carries, 274 yards, 3 TD), QB/DB Jalen Catelon, scored game-winning TD against Crowley and had clutch interception in end zone. Aledo - QB Jake Bishop (20-of-27, 348 yards, 3 TD, 0 int.), RB Tre Owens 19 carries, 126 yards, 4 TD).
▪ Notable: A dozen bearcats have run the ball this season, six have caught a pass, and nine have scored...The Bearcats are averaging almost 500 yards of offense through two games...The Bearcats will once again be missing sophomore all-state running back Jase McClellan, who rushed for over 1,500 yards and 20 TD a year ago and 136 yards and two TD in the season opener as he is recovering from a broken wrist...Legacy has twice as many takeaways (4) as it has turnovers (2), while Aledo has three of each...Aledo has won 18 straight games overall dating to last season and 21 consecutive in the regular season dating to 2015...Ironically, despite their long history of success, the Bearcats are 2-3-1 in their history against teams from Mansfield.
Hico Tigers (1-1) at Millsap Bulldogs (1-1)
7 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Hico 6-5, Class 2A Division I bidistrict. Millsap 3-7 in Class 3A Division II. Hico won 41-8 at home.
▪ Series history: Hico leads 9-2.
▪ Last week: Tolar 48, Hico 11. Hamilton 14, Millsap 7.
▪ Returning starters: Hico 7 offense/7 defense. Millsap 9 offense/8 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Hico - QB/DB Briley Johnson and RB/DB Jacob Smith lead a host of several strong two-way players for the Tigers. Millsap - RB/DB Raymond Pacheco (13 carries, 84 yards, 3 TD), QB Brock Barron (6-of-11, 122 yards passing; 22 carries, 88 yards, 1 TD rushing).
▪ Notable: This is homecoming for the Bulldogs....Millsap has rushed for almost 550 yards in its first two games... The Tigers are playoff perennials with five straight appearances. The teams did not play each other from 2000-09 and since their return to the series, Hico is 3-0 and has outscored the Bulldogs 111-8. Millsap's only two wins came in 1997-98.
Brock Eagles (1-1) at Grapevine Faith Lions (1-1)
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Brock 13-1, Class 3A Division I Region I final. Faith 12-2, Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools Division II state champions. Brock won 42-35 at home.
▪ Series history: Brock leads 1-0.
▪ Last week: Midland Christian 26, Brock 9. Willow Park Trinity 35, Grapevine Faith 14.
▪ Returning starters: Brock 3 offense/5 defense. Faith 4 offense/7 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Faith - QB Deuce Hogan has picked up where he left off his freshman season, when he passed for over 1,600 yards and 23 TD. Brock - RB Dawson Littlepage (29 carries, 271 yards, 4 TD) and RB Tanner Patino (21 carries, 169 yards, 2 TD) have accounted for the majority of the Eagles' offense this season.
▪ Notable: Brock is coming off a regular-season loss for the first time since they fell 26-21 to Brady to open the 2014 season, their first game after becoming University Interscholastic League eligible....Still, both teams have been on winning trends to be envied over the past three-plus years as Brock is 41-4 with a state title and Faith is 33-8 with a state title.